Tuesday, August 17, 2010

36 weeks and counting!


Well folks, school started back for teachers Aug 2nd. I had a great (hot) week tying up loose ends,catching up with teachers and sitting through meetings. Thursday, we had open house and I got to meet a lot of my kids and parents. The following Monday, school started for kids. I was at school all Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday until 11. Wednesday afternoon, I had my weekly checkup at the doctor. It was not a good day. My blood pressure was elevated again, my weight was up and I had an ongoing complaint of swelling, blurred vision and pains in my ankles and fingers joints. As a precautionary method, I was tested for preeclampsia. A condition, while only diagnosed in about 5-8 percent of patients (lovely odds huh) is basically hypertension and has all the symptoms I've been having. The blood test was negative but until the 2nd test was negative, I was put on bed rest for the remainder of the week. Friday, my nurse called and told me bed rest until Charlie arrives is the plan. I failed my 2nd test. I am to monitor my blood pressure, double my water intake and stay off my feet! I was really upset Wednesday when I got all this news but fortunately It allowed me to prepare for this possibility. Bed rest to most would probably sound like a dream..a chance to rest up before baby arrives! Yet, the beginning of the year is probably the busiest for a school teacher. But, it is what it is. I wish someone out there would tell me what I should be doing. I did have all summer to prepare for his arrival. I've had all my baby showers, his clothes are clean, his room is ready, our bags are packed...so I really can't think of what else i should be doing. Sister told me to change bed sheets and air filters..I did that too! I even added "clean the fridge" to my list and completed that. I am not big on cooking and preparing meals ahead of time to freeze. Anything I make doesn't take long. Dick and I both cook so we could share that duty. Somehow we will get fed. My sister did tell me she made chicken spaghetti for us! Maybe I just know I'm in good hands so I don't have to worry. Anyways, my checkup yesterday was great. Charlie had a great appointment. His weight is on target (meaning he is gaing the half pound a week that he needs to so I'm not depriving him of anything with this condition), his test for general well being was really good (he scored a 8 out of 8), my blood pressure was low and since I doubled my water intake, I had lost 3 pounds of that pesky water retention and I have ankles that aren't swollen and vision that isn't blurred. Bed rest is good to us both. Just taking things a day at a time. Whew! this is a novel! I suppose when you have the time, it's easy to write a lot. hee hee. Here is a picture of charlie from his sono yesterday.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I can't imagine how hard it was on your body to get a classroom ready and be on your feet all day with students! Glad you're taking it easy now. You are WAY more prepared than I am! I will add suggestions to your to-do list: go to a movie (or rent one) with Dick, watch uninterrupted TV and feel no guilt, sleep late, do your nails and toenails. Basically, pamper yourself b/c life with a baby is SO different---FABULOUS but different. You have to sacrifice a lot of 'self' so get your 'me time' in now! Enjoy, Susan! :)

Susan said...

thanks for the suggestions, angie!